2022 Auction Rules
Keep track of everything being auctioned from the stage. This will also help you plan to be in the right place at the right time when your favorites come up for bid.
Official Seller Rules for the 2022 Austin Magic Auction
- Sellers must register for the auction, then complete and submit a list of up to 50 items and photos of the items by October 30th.
- Registration consists of paying the admission fee (as sellers are automatically issued a seller / bidder number and encouraged to attend), providing contact information and an estimate of the number of items to be sold.
- The item list must be on the form provided by the auction; it should be detailed and must include a minimum bid. No duplicate items may be offered. Photos need not be display quality; they are needed to assure that volunteers can accurately match the item description to each item received. Photos may be used on the website to advertise the auction.
- The auction will allow no more than 30 sellers, and no more than about 1000 items.
- If a seller cannot attend, he/she may assign a substitute to attend and use that bidder number. However, the substitute must pay for any successful bids; neither seller nor substitute may “charge” items against sales.
- Any items submitted to the auction must be in good working order and include some sort of instructions (original, copies or written instructions). The auction team and Auctioneers reserve the right, but are not obligated, to withdraw an item for sale if they find the item to be in non-working order or if it is missing any parts or instructions.
- All items must be received by the auction by November 7. Exceptions for large stage illusions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Sellers will be charged a 15% of the selling price, which goes to the Assembly. There is no charge for unsold items. Note: If assistance is needed or wanted in or preparing items and completing forms, please contact us.
- WARNING- We ask that sellers not bid on their own items to raise the price. If you do bid on any item and end up having to buy it, you will be charged a 15% seller’s fee to take it back home with you.
- All sellers (or their substitutes) must pick up their unsold items on the day of the auction. The auction is not responsible for the safety of unsold merchandise after the day of the auction. If any unsold items must be shipped to the owner, subject to agreement to do so by the Assembly, the cost of shipping will be deducted from the seller’s funds, or the seller may donate the items to Assembly 206 or Magic Camp. If seller’s funds do not cover the cost of shipping, they must send funds or be deemed to have donated the items.
- Sellers will receive a check approximately two weeks after the end of the auction. The check will reflect the total sales amount of the seller’s items, less 15%.
Official Bidder Rules for the 2022 Austin Magic Auction
- The non-refundable Admission fee to the auction is $10 for buyers, sellers, viewers, guests, or workers—even the Auction Chair—and includes an assigned bidder number.
- While descriptions are believed to be correct, the Auctioneers and Assembly make no warranties or guarantees. Everything is sold “as is, where is” and no warranties are made as to the merchantability of any items or their fitness for any purpose.
- Do not open bags on the silent auction tables. If you need help, please ask for
assistance from an Auction Volunteer (They will be wearing a black Austin Magic Auction shirt or Fantastic Magic Camp Shirt).
- When a bidder places a bid, the bidder enters a legal contractual obligation to honor such bid. Therefore, if in doubt about the condition of an item, the bidder should seek inspection or additional information about the item before bidding.
- Some items in the stage auction are offered with a minimum reserve price as
determined by the seller and will not be sold unless the bidding matches or exceeds the seller’s minimum reserve price. Reserve prices may or may not be disclosed prior to commencement of bidding, at the discretion of the Auctioneers.
- At the discretion of the Auction Chair and without prior notice, items may be changed from a silent auction format to a stage auction format, or vice versa. Additionally, although the Auctioneers generally try to follow the published order of stage auction items, the order is subject to change without notice.
- The auctioneers’ decisions are final. Disputes arising from simultaneous bids, erroneous bids, etc., shall be resolved at the sole discretion of the auctioneer, and may include a decision to resume bidding or to close the bidding for an item. Disputes arising out of silent auctions shall be resolved at the sole discretion of the Auction Chair or his/her designee.
- During the stage auction, if you are the successful bidder for an item, hold up your
bidder’s number in plain sight and call out your number when the auctioneer makes the equest.
- All purchases must be settled by cash, credit card or approved check at checkout on the day of the auction. Checkout will begin shortly after the close of the silent auction.
- No merchandise is to be removed from the building until it is paid for at checkout.
- Buyers are expected to remove their paid purchases from the building upon checkout.
- Buyers are the sole custodians of their purchases and assume full responsibility for purchased items after the distribution of items to the buyers. The auction is not
responsible for the safety of the merchandise after the buyer takes possession.
- No sales transactions are to take place in the auction building or in the parking lot other than those transactions of the Austin Magic Auction’s Auctioneers.
- The Assembly and its staff and volunteers shall not be liable for any injuries occurring to persons attending the auction or while removing purchases from the auction building.
- Absolutely no drink or food in sanctuary or silent auction area. Please eat and drink only in designated areas.
- The Auction Chair reserves the right to deny entry to the auction or to ask attendees to leave the auction premises for violation of these rules, without any refund of any admission fee.
We are happy you are here and hope you will return next year. If you need any help during your visit, please do not hesitate to contact one of the auction volunteers.